Whether you would like to add or move a socket, fix a bathroom fan, find out why your fuses are tripping, install new lighting, or need a consumer unit upgrade or full rewire, I can help with any domestic electrical work.

All work is done in accordance with the current wiring regulations and with your electrical safety in mind. Appropriate certification will be issued and notifications made where necessary. I am happy to give electrical advice and offer solutions. I work with respect for your home, with minimum disruption or mess.

Please do get in touch to discuss any electrical work you may need.

Installation of consumer units

A modern consumer unit offers extra fault protection for your household. I can offer installation of the approved 18th Edition Consumer Units (along with certification). 

Although there is no legal requirement to update your consumer unit/fuseboard you may find that older equipment, especially units with re-wireable fuses, are difficult to re-set (and they offer little protection). Often any new electrical installation work or alterations cannot be done without a 18th Edition consumer unit being in place. 18th Edition Consumer Units have RCDs and MCBs which provide additional safety protection, have a more convenient system for re-setting faults, and allow you to install additional circuits in your home.

Prior to installing a new consumer unit I will undertake a full survey of the existing wiring and circuits to determine they are sound and work safely. Remedial work may be necessary and if it’s not possible to make the existing wiring compliant, I would discuss whether a full or partial rewire might be necessary before doing any further work.

Replacing a consumer unit is notifiable to Building Control under Part P of the building regulations. As a member of NICEIC I am able to self-certify and make this notification on your behalf.

Click here for the NICEIC guide to Part P.

Full or partial rewiring

Rewiring your home will improve safety and allow the capacity to use modern technology efficiently.  

As well as the obvious benefits of updating an aging wiring system it gives you an opportunity to design your electrical needs around the way you use your home – for example adding additional sockets or moving them around, installing two-way switching or data sockets.

Click here for the NICEIC guide to a safe electrical rewire.

Fault-finding and repair

If your fuses are tripping, or sockets or lights have stopped working I can quickly track the fault and repair it.

When I have found the fault I will explain the problem and solutions, as well as costs involved before carrying out the repair.

Sockets and switches

Replacing existing faulty sockets and light switches or chasing new socket positions.

If you find that your home is full of overloaded extension leads you might want to add some additional sockets. Or you may want to change some socket or light switch positions, add dimmers or two way switching. After checking whether the circuit is able to be extended I can position your electrical points wherever is most practical for you.

Outdoor power 

Security lights, patio lighting, weather protected outdoor sockets or supplying power to an outbuilding or shed. 

As outside power is open to the weather it is important that you get any external lighting or fixtures installed correctly, with adequate protection. Sockets must be RCD protected and only suitable cable lights and materials must be used.

I can install all types of outdoor lighting for example security lights or patio lighting as well as installing RCD protected outdoor sockets or supply power to an outbuilding or shed. 

Click here for the NICEIC factsheet on electrical work in the garden.  

Lighting installation

Fancy or simple pendant lights, Halogen or LED down lights, under cupboard lighting or lights in special locations such as bathrooms and outside.

I’m happy to install customer supplied lighting or advise on and source lights that might work best for you.

Electrical safety

I am able to offer full inspection and testing services to give you a view of whether your electrics are safe. If needed I can supply an EICR certificate. 

I can provide a report (either verbally or in an EICR certificate) on the condition of wiring, cables, sockets, earthing and consumer unit in your home, and whether they conform to the current wiring regulations. I would also advise on electrical work that may be essential or just desirable to improve upon.

Click here for the NICEIC factsheet on getting your electrics checked.

Ventilation and extraction

Keep damp out of kitchens and bathrooms with effective extraction.